Tuesday, June 14, 2011

black bean burgers

My roommates are vegetarian, so we (me and Eric) also are trying not to eat meats at home (well, we broke this rule twice when we bought Polish sausage for sauerkraut and minced meat for Bolognese sauce). So at home we are eating a lot of different meat replacements.  I don't mind it at all, I think they are about million times better than meat anyway. Eating that much vegetarian food is very interesting for me, because I've never been real vegetarian so I even didn't really know what tofu is.
When I was introduced to Black Bean Burgers I was very skeptical first because I don't like burgers and second because Black Bean Burgers sounds weird. Until I tasted them - seriously, that was so good that since then I've been eating Black bean burgers almost every other day. Now I also know how easy it is to make them at home (the other option of course is to buy them at the grocery store). 

Black Bean Burgers

Ingredients:
1 (2 oz) hamburger bun, torn in pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 (15,5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp garted lime rind
¾ tsp chili powder
½ tsp chopped fresh oregano
¼ tsp salt
1 larg egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Place bun in food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl. 


Combine 1 tbsp oil, garlic and beans in processor, pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape the bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. 
Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. 



With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (abot 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty. 
 Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment